Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which RAID Level for video editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffkelly

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
I have an Asus P5GDC Deluxe motherboard w/ a 3.4 GHz processor and a gig of Corsair TwinX memory. My storage consists of a 3 drive SATA-150 RAID 5 array on a MegaRaid 150-4 controller, but have recently purchased 4 SATA-300 drives and an MegaRaid 300-8x card. Before I begin the surgery, I'd like a few opinions. Each time I ask LSI Logic, I get the standard answer "it depends on what you want."

Besides the normal Windows and Office apps, I do a fair amount of video editing w/ Pinnacle Studio or Vegas 6. Currently it takes about 4-5 hours to render a DVD from an hour of footage (13 GB AVI file from my DV camcorder). Rendering is hard drive intensive, so read/write speed is a requisite. That said, I want fault tolerance. On my current RAID 5 system, it takes my 3.4 GHz machine about 4 minutes to boot after power-on (includes Post).

Bottom line, I want faster read/write speed, shorten the time it takes to render my video to DVD (DVD burn is negligible) and fault tolerance so I can rebuild the array if I lose a hard drive.

I'm thinking of a 4 drive RAID 10 array. Does anyone have an opinion? This is a home workstation, so price is also a factor.

Thanks in advance to all who answer,

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back