Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which processor better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aztech1

Technical User
Mar 1, 2009
LV
Aztech1 said:
is HP COMPAQ 6730S better compare vs Asus X58L?

Yes. The Asus has a Core Duo, the HP has a Core 2 Duo, two completely different CPU platforms. Core Duo is considered old tech.

Also, he Asus has 667MHz RAM, the HP 800. There will be a substantial difference in performance, power consumption, and heat generation between the two processors.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Both have same processor Core Duo? so no any difference in performance? HP looks extremelly ugly though

Both have same processor Core Duo?
no...

as Tony mentioned the ASUS has an older DUAL CORE processor, while the HP has the CORE2DUO architecture... The HP will out run that ASUS by miles...

HP looks extremelly ugly though
Depends on what your tastes are like... I personally prefer a 'muscle car' over a sleek 'race car' without oomph under the hood...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

The Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are pretty similar. When the Core 2 first came out for the laptop, it added support for Intel 64 (64-bit processing) and more L2 cache to the existing Core architecture. Often you will find faster FSB speeds as well on the Core 2 (as in this situation which will make a noticeable difference).

I wouldn't go as far to say that the Core Duo is obsolete, but as Tony points out, you will get better overall performance from the Core 2.

Besides, the Asus site says the laptop isn't currently available so that should help make your decision easier!

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Asus website said:
Sorry, this product is not currently available.

Apparently, Asus agrees with us...or just sold the last one to Aztech1 [smile]

I swear it was there this morning...

Tony

Users helping Users...

not clear, this Asus model support Win XP, but "Wireless" driver folder not shown drivers

HP problem is that is have very poor support. simple things turn into unsoluble problems.

Really? We've never had a problem with HP, support has always been very prompt. When they fail, that is; we've only ever needed to call them twice in 4 years, and we've hundreds of their workstations and laptops.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

support is very poor. trivial task to get model which have keyboard with two languages almost impossible

Aztech,
I'm going to take a stab and guess that English is not your first language. Perhaps HP's support in other countries or in another languages might be unsatisfactory, but English support here in the U.S. is pretty reasonable.

We have roughly 6,000 HP desktops where I work, and HP has done a great job supporting us over the years. Sorry to hear you have a different impression.

>English support here in the U.S.

English support in the UK is also good

Never a complaint with HP Products.

I've had an HP laptop for 5+ years now, and I just *now* had to buy a new battery for it. It has been a rock-solid machine that has never given me an ounce of problems.

At (my old) work, I had several HP servers and the support on them was fantastic.

I also always find what I'm looking for on HP's site.

<Shrug>

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back