Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which PIX???? 506 Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashX1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
US
My network consists of 70 users, 7 mobile users, 40 Servers, 2 data T1's. I need VPN and a firewall solution. I was thinking about getting the PIX 506. Someone I know who has worked with them claims they will slow with a low throughput. Anyone with experience on this PIX have an opinion? The last thing I want to do is introduce something to the environment which creates a noticable speed difference on the network or internet.

Thanks,
Mike

I would say go with the PIX 515. It can have up to 6 interfaces, and has a throughput of 160 Mbits. That way you can put your servers in a DMZ and place your users on a real "inside" secure interface. There is a Limited and Unlimited version of the 515. The Limited version can have up to 3 interfaces, and the Unlimited has up to 6 interfaces, just depends what kind of network structure you have, or want to implement. Also, for VPN access it comes with a DES license for free, but you can upgrade to 3DES encryption. Here's a link to the Cisco PIX 515 link.

Hope this helps, let me know....

Burke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back