Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Performance Counters about System are more important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericnet

Programmer
Mar 29, 2006
In short I will launch a marketplace, an ASP.NET VB.NET web application that will run in my own Windows 2000 server. So that start doing things correct I am building a Windows Service to store performance counters values into the database about Server System (Processor, Memory, Network and Disk I/O). I will use this Windows Service when my Web Server is in production. I think this is called ‘Monitor Web Server’.

I read an article which for the moment is my guideline to decide which counters I will use. And referring to System Resources, these are which I have chosen:

Processor:
Processor\% Processor Time
System\Processor Queue Length

Memory:
Memory\Available Mbytes
Memory\Pages/sec

Disk I/O:
PhysicalDisk\Avg. Disk Queue Length
PhysicalDisk\Avg. Disk sec/Transfer

Network I/O:
Network Interface\Bytes Total/sec
Network Interface\Bytes Received/sec
Network Interface\Bytes Sent/sec
Server\Bytes Total/sec

What do you think about my selection? With these performance counters I will be able to detect the main bottlenecks my web server can suffer? (In System Resources. After that I will choose ASP.NET performance counters and finally ADO.NET/Data Access performance counters)

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back