Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which patch version

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb42

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I'm trying to manually update my Linux 7.3 server with patches from the Red Hat site but am having some trouble.
I type in "rpm -q package_name" to determine if I have the package installed. However, if there are 2 updates to apply, do I apply them both?

For example, I have the python-1.5.2-38 package installed and there seems to be 2 updates for it: python-1.5.2-43.73.src.rpm & python2-2.2.2-11.7.3.src.rpm.

Am I suppose to download both or do I only download the patch that corresponds to the version number that I have installed (i.e. version 1.5.2)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

pb42

Python and Python 2 are two separate packages, you should be abel to install both. //Daniel

Daniel,

If I'm only looking to upgrade the package that I have on my system, do I only need to install the python-1.5.2-43.73.src.rpm package?

pb42

First of all, you probably want a file ending with .i386.rpm.
And to find out which package you have installed, run these commands:
[tt]rpm -q python
rpm -q python2[/tt]
The one which returns something, is the one you would want to install. //Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back