Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which OS to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayE

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
GB
Hi everyone,

I know, being an 2000 Pro forum, everyone here will probably be biased !! :-(.

But when replacing PCs in our office, which currently run Windows 98, is it best to go to for XP Pro or Windows 2000 Pro.

I was going to go for XP Pro, but an IT professional says it's not stable or secure enough for him to recommend it. He says that IT professionals go for Windows 2000 Pro NOT XP, they don't trust XP.

I know that Microsoft have brought out a Service Pack for XP, and many people have had problems with their systems since installing it.

The server is currently running SBS 4.5 with Exchange 5.5.

What it your view?

Regards,
Jay/UK

I remember when 2000 came out people were saying the same things about it as they are now about XP. Look at the differences between XP and 2000 and base your decision on that. I find XP as stable as 2000 and have been using it for over a year. I like both OSs. Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

That is what I was going to say. They are both solid OSes. In the way of security... it is a Microsoft product, if you go with M$ you get security holes. Mike Wills
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Both of my colleagues above are correct. They are both pretty stable with their own issues. All OS's have their own issues. Look at the applications you are going to use. Is it compatible with XP and 2K? How comfortable are your users with XP and 2K? I suggest staying away form Win98/ME mainly for the lack of security in the two OS's.
Win XP Pro has a much improved application support tool. I don't think you will have issues with XP. I use both and find no real issues with either. Base your decision on your needs and support, not hearsay. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Would agree with all the above - just remember XP has a new 'noddy' interface (which can be turned off) - 2k looks more like 98 (may be a consideration with your users - either way - my wife's primary school have gone with XP, partly because of this interface).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back