Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Operating System ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofield

Technical User
Dec 10, 2007
US
Hey Guys,
I'm buying a new Desktop and I have the choice of Getting Xp Home, XP Professional, or Vista Home Basic.

I have Windows Xp Home on my old Desktop and was wondering if you could give me any Advice on which OS System to Choose. The Specs of the Desktop are below.

I really Need Advice On this One, Thanks

GeForce 7300GS 256MB PCI-Express (1DVI / 1VGA) Card/

3GB DDR2 PC5400 Memory

Intel Core2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz 2M 800Mhz Processor

80GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive with a External 320GB Hard Drive

500 Watt Power Supply

It depends very much on what you'll be using it for but for what it's worth:

If the only Vista flavour available to you is Home Basic I wouldn't bother with Vista. In fact I'm not sure I'd bother with Vista regardless of what flavour is being offered...

Between XPH and XPP XPH will almost certainly be sufficient if this is a home desktop PC. Does XPH do everything you need it to on your current PC?

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

I'd mostly agree with Ed, if my choice is XPH, XPP and Vista Home Basic, you are better off with the XP Pro. Vista Home Basic SUCKS you'll hate it if you get it. Now personally, if you can get Vista Home Premium or even better Vista Ultimate I think you'd be better off.

I like Vista. Call me crazy but I have been using it for more than a year with no issues. But then I know how to turn off all the rotten "features" it likes to use.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Out of the 3 systems you mention XP Pro is the best system in my opinion.

If all you want to do is send E-mails and surf the net, then Vista Basic could manage that but not much more.

You appear to have a great machine, why not spend a few extra dollars and get a great operating system to go with it?

For what it is worth, my choice nowadays is Vista Ultimate, I love XP Pro, but it is getting a bit dated.

From what I've read XP is still faster for gaming than Vista as well.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back