Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which memory PC 100 or Pc133 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adavi

Technical User
Dec 16, 2002
BB
I have a IBM aptiva 450 MHz pc with Pc100 memory, can I replace it with PC 133 memory?

Usually, yes.

I usually check and often buy from the Crucial site.

Andy.

yes you can but
since your cpu runs with 100mhz fsb you wont gain any speed.

Short answer: YES, usually.

Long answer: A lot of PC133 DIMMs are more dense than older PC100 DIMMs. Therefore, you have to be careful not to waste your money, since some older motherboards have trouble reading the correct density and size. Plus, a PC133 DIMM is only going to run at PC100 speeds anyway. Therefore if you can get your hands on PC100 for around the same price, stick with that.

is a good place to start.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

adavi
Sorry guys! but more often than not NO!
As a retailer I have got to disagree and say that on percentage when we sell PC133 (kingston/crucial/Twinmoss) to customers with PC's around this spec there usually is a less than 50% sucess rate.
Yes indeed, it should work but changing is module density and design make newer PC133 sticks less compatible with older machines.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

paparazi,
I agree. However, the "percentage" you speak of is worse now than it was say 2-3 years ago. As time goes by, old-style PC133 DIMMs become harder and harder to find. They are the ones that are "usually compatible" in old motherboards. Like you said, newer ones aren't as likely to work, which is about all that's left.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg
I think that's what I said, didn't I?
"changes is module density and design make newer PC133 sticks less compatible with older machines"
When PC133 first came out it would nearly always work with PC100.
So I guess try and buy second hand modules with higher density chip makeup for a higher probability of compatibility.
But we don't sell second hand.
Martin

Sorry Martin, I realize that you did.

I was just making it clear what you were referring to when you said:
"[blue]Sorry guys! but more often than not NO![/blue]"

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

cdogg
Somebody likes you today!! seems that you have stars just for speaking lol
Sorry to sound abrasive in the earlier post.
Martin

Guess somebody does!
[bigcheeks]

Abrasive? Nah. How long have we worked together now, almost 3 years? It's always been a pleasure and I never take an occasional debate to heart! We always share the same goal.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back