Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which Linux to use? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

idono

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
Hello all,

I have decided to give Linux a try. How do you select which distribution to use? I am currently looking at buying Mandrake but am not totally sure thats what I want, its just readily available. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I started with Mandrake 8.1 professional 2 weeks ago. It installed ok but didn't pickup all my hardware. It is very important that you inventory video card, monitor sync rates, and modem type. Find Mandrake on the web and check hardware compatibility databases. If you modem is a Winmodem, don't fool around trying to get it to work. I lost a lot of hours trying to do that. Just buy an external Linux compatible modem and your life will be a lot easier.

Because of hardware problems, I went out and got a SUSE distribution 7.3. It installed very easily and everything was set up. I would encourage you to buy the professional packages - around $70.00. Its worth it to have all the software on CD.

You should first consider the WHY of using Linux. RedHat or Mandrake might be good for you if you just want to give it a try. I've been using RedHat for more than three week now and i've faced many small problems during installation and networking. Try something besides RedHat. But make sure that the distro. you want supports all or most of your hardware. Yay Ghazi taray yay Pur-assrar bunday

I'm currently using Mandrake 8.1 and I had no problems with hardware. Mandrake 8.2 is now out and should support more hardware. Redhat might also be another good alternative to Mandrake since they are very similar. Both of these are usually recommended to Windoze users making the switch.

I just put Mandrake 8.2 on a test box here and have had no problems. Mandrake is probably one of the easiest releases for a new user in my opinion. I started on SuSe and also played around with RedHat and Slackware. Mandrake is probably the most user friendly installation of the bunch.

I'll add my vote for Mandrake. I've been using it for about 3 years with no major problems. I have websites running on it and use a box with a minimal Mandrake install as a firewall. Works great. Tried Redhat, but had hardware compatability problems. Tried SuSe (several releases ago) and kept getting messages in German even though I specified English.

Guess what guys! I did it. Mandrake 8.1 is what I have choosen. I haven't installed yet, still reading some of the literature.

Thank you all,
Dugger

Glad to hear it. If you need any help just post it here or you can join one of the Mandrake mailing lists that they offer on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back