Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which layer to use for strongly typed datasets in n-tier design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenSCooper

Programmer
Sep 28, 2009
GB
Dear All,
I'm designing a new vb.net solution and want to return strongly typed dataset objects from the Data Access to the Presentation layer. However, I can't decide where to create the datasets within a classic 3 tier design. As I understand it, the only way that I can use the dataset object in all 3 tiers (Pres, BLL, DAL) is to have a 4th project that is made available to everything and create the datasets in there.
Is this a good solution to the problem? Has anyone used a different model successfully?

Any opinions will be gratefully received.
Ben Cooper

3 tier != 3 projects/assemblies. the paradigm of 3 tiers logical, not physical. I recommend the onion architecture (1, 2, 3) as a logical systems model. I find this better represents modern application development.

Data sets/tables are just an implementation detail. whether you use datasets, pocos, or EF/LLBL context specific objects is indifferent to the high level system layout. I prefer POCOs for business worksflow and datatables for reporting. the only reason for that is reporting tools in .net usually work better with datatables, then POCOs.

Jason Meckley
Programmer

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back