Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Java version is best to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

nag83

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
Which Java version do you think is the best one to learn?

Always learn the latest java version (1.4 now), and best to learn via a text editor (emacs, vi, notepad) and use console compilation rather than an IDE - so you learn the language from the core (without spangles) !

Ben

I totally agree sedj.

There nothing worse that making a spankingly good GUI with a GUI builder and then trying to understand the code it created! Yuck.

You might want to look at jGrasp as something to program your Java code in whilst you are learning. Aside form providing syntax highlighting it also uses something called CSD (Code Structure Diagrams) which help you visualise and understand your source code. A great learning tool (hell I've been programming for quite a while and I still use it, it is a great tool period). ----------------------------------------
There are no onions, only magic
----------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back