Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which is the correct directory path?

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbatim1

Programmer
Apr 18, 2005
US
i have downloaded a user authentication script [vSignup,@ www.beanbug.net]

i want to install it outside of my html directory so:
1. visitors to my site wont have to type
2. no one has access to the php files, and

3. visitors wont see ' when they go to the login screen.

i installed the files in '/home/vsignup' & added that path to my includes path in php.ini.

i couldnt figure out how to get to the login screen without moving it to my root directory [/home/html/] so i did that.

The "action" after clicking the login icon is to go to 'vauthenitcate.php' which is located in /home/vsignup.

After i log in i get the 'this page cannot be found' @
Now obviously this is because that file is in /home/vsignup/ and not the root directory, but i thought by adjusting the includes path it would work.

how do i configure it correctly?

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

URL and include path are two entirely different things.
PHP scripts need to be readable by the web server, so they have to be either:
a) in the web tree (under the DOCUMENT ROOT) or
b) an ALIAS for a specific URL can point to any other location in the file system.

You can't use a PHP script without having the Web server be able to read it. The above infor is specific to the Apache web server but holds true in principle for all other web servers.

Includepath does not work the way you describe it.

Why do you want users not to be able to access your php files anyway? If they are written properly they can't do much harm. I can think of several ways of making what you want happen, but I fear all of them include changing the authentication script you downloaded.

What is wrong with people seeing vsignup? I assume you can rename the folder from vsignup to somethinge lse, or even smack the files in the root of your site if you don't mind the mess....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back