Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which is the better Processor on a budget Intel Celeron or Pentium 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TranquilUncle

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
From your experience which processor on a budget is better for an upgrade, Celeron or Pentium 4. Think from a manager perspective, everyone wants the "biggest and baddest". I just visited Intel's web site and the marketing team is #1 bar none. Is it me or does it seem like Celeron is being treated like a motherless child? I'm currently running Celeron and Pentium III chips. To my knowledge both performed at the same level of quality. It's disappointing and ammusing at the same time. If I choose based on Intel's marketing team I'd choose one of the delightful selections of Pentium 4's. Of course I'd pay a few hundred dollars more but what the hay it's just money?! Tech users and Guru's alike what say you on this subject.

Are these new motherboards, or you want to pop a faster/better processor in an existing motherboard, or are these brand new boxes?

And what are they used for in the main?

It may be a little more RAM and better graphics boards would make a bigger difference than any processor substitution you could make.

AMD usually kicks Intels a** and usually for several hundred less. I have also known guys who put together a mean gaming machine using a celeron but with a very high end graphics card. I have found the celeron to suck when it comes to heavy number crunching, databases, spreadsheets etc.

I notice you use the word "budget" and interestingly the word "marketing" is also mentioned, with both these words in mind I will say "AMD and Athlon XP"
As you are already aware of Intels massive marketing stratagey and can appreciate that, just because Intel says so does not make it so! then you should also realise that in the budget/performance arena AMD XP processor based systems win hands down over Intel based ones.
For a given price point they are: quicker, better performing and every bit as reliable (given that you are buying from a reputable system builder)
Don't buy into Intels massive advertising, when it comes to budget at between the CPU speeds 1.4 - 2.4, AMD's range of XP processors wins hands down on price and performance and reliability.
The story is differant at the high end speeds but then thats another story. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

AFAIK, celeron doesn't have the cache of a P4 and P4 is different architecture. Seeing as budget is a consideration I'd go for the celeron. If you really need those picoseconds then the budget must be sacrificed!

For any chip go to the relevant manufacturers site and read the specs for yourself - with your requirements in mind you're the best one to make the decision...

JS

If you are currently running Celeron and P3 chips then you
will have to replace your mobo to run P4 or AMD. I share the
same opinion about AMD XP vs. Intel P4 as others here have mentioned. Also the cost savings from buying an AMD instead of a P4 would pay for the new mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back