Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which HD drivers to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryinHouston

Technical User
Jan 4, 2001
US
I recently installed a new Jetway 720bf AT MB into my computer. It uses an SiS 620 chipset. Using the installation CDROM it installed SiS harddrive controller and drivers. For whatever reason, it recommends that these drivers be replaced by the OS (using Win 98SE) drivers to gain added functionality. This board says that it supports busmastering, and my old MB identified the HD drivers and controller as busmastered. These drivers/comtroller do not ID as busmasterred. Maybe they are and just don't say it. Should I replace these controllers with MS and do I do it just like replacing any driver/controller, i.e. using the device manager?

Jerry in Houston

Hi Jerry
In short, stick with the MS drivers, and yes, you can install them through the usual method. I have found that the busmaster drivers included with most motherboards were usually intended for WIN95 users, as the 95 OS did not necessarily contain busmaster drivers, depending upon which release you were using. In my opinion, 98SE seems to have the best balance of functionality, flexibility and features of any Windows system for the home user. With the exception of audio and graphics cards, and possibly modems, the standard driver from 98SE always seems to work best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back