Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which hardware and software can i consider for Backup and Disaster recovery 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martha_SysAdm

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2021
NA
The company i work for has a ProLiant DL380 G7, currently running as dhcp,DC\AD, and iis, a ProLiant DL380p Gen8 server currently running as sql database, no raid setup , a storage\file server setup on a Norco RPC-4020 but we do not know the hardware lifespan on it. but no one currently save anything on it, Auditors flagged that we need to have a backup and disaster recovery plan. what hardware would i need to put restoration measures for network as no firewall exists, storage\backup onsite and offsite, server hardware to move it to virtualization solution

You need a consultant, not a bunch of randos on the Internet.

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

Totally agree with LoPath. If your data is mission critical then you need someone to look over what you have, where you have it, and what you do with it, and how best to protect it.

I agree as well. You have to get someone that will have skin in the game. Talk to three different IT companies, get quotes and make sure you are comfortable with what they are proposing. Then they need to follow up on the backups on a regular basis no matter who you choose. If you want to learn how to follow on the backups, that's great too if they will let you. And, theoretically, you are supposed to test your recovery strategy, but that can be difficult if you are testing bare metal recovery because nobody has spare systems to test on and you can't fool with active servers.

In general though, you want to have off-site backup to foil things like fire/flood/theft. Ideally you would have something that backs up the data but also an image of the operating system. That way you can restore both - system and data. The system would not have to be backed up as often as the data if the configuration doesn't change too much (like monthly). I know Barracuda makes an appliance that backs up an image of your server, stores it locally and then blasts it out to the cloud for safety.

Don't cheap out!!!!!! Nobody squeals like a pig until they need backup or system recovery and they realize they really don't have what they need. Have you ever heard pigs squeal at feeding time. VERY LOUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back