Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which FSMO roles for two domain controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all, I have two domain controllers and I was wondering what the general consensus is on how to split up FSMO roles between them. Right now I have the PDC role and the RID pool manager on one DC, and Schema owner, Domain role owner and Infrastructure owner on the other. I had a tech over working on my Exchange server and he didn't think having a second DC was a good idea. I disagree--I think a second domain controller is essential. Oh yeah, I also have both DCs as Global Catalog servers. SO, is there a better way to do this? If so what is it and why?

Thanks for the info,

Joe B

JBruyet said:
I had a tech over working on my Exchange server and he didn't think having a second DC was a good idea.
That would be the last time he touched my network.

Take a look at
Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

What kind of 'tech' was he exactly??

If he came from a consultancy firm I would be contacting them to check on his credentials and what exactly he is supposed to know.

If he was an independent contractor don't touch him again with a barge pole!!

Paul
VCP4

RFC 2795 - The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS)

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back