Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which format is better to import (place) from when dealing with text? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolluxRees

Technical User
Aug 6, 2007
Hi, I'm new to ID, but an experienced PS user... I've created 200 files in both PSD and PDF format with 300dpi in PS, that I needed easily mass-printed, and thus I was introduced to ID.

My question is this:

What is better to import into ID, concerning the print quality of the "pre-outlaid" text - PSD or PDF files?

Thanks in advance

Pollux

If the file still has live, editable text in it, you should use PDF to place in InDesign. InDesign only interprets a PSD file as a bitmap. InDesign interprets a PDF file as both bitmap (for photos) and vector (for text).

If you are using Windows, you can save your Photoshop images as PDP. This is the same as PDF but if you need to edit the original from InDesign, Photoshop is used. If you try to edit the original PDF file from InDesign, Acrobat will open.

This does not apply to Mac. Mac's file structure allows InDesign to call the right editor (Photoshop or Acrobat) regardless of the file name extension used.

Thanks Jim,

Basically you're saying PDF/PDP is always better, right?

Another question:

In ID my file is shown as if it was a magazine/book (even though I simply created a new 'document') as there is a front page first + a back page very last, and all pages in between are in groups of two, which messes with my bleed, in the middle between the two pages. How do I get it set to just show single pages?

Single pages can be set up in the File->Document setup by unchecking 'facing pages'.

Great, thanks - if you didn't know this, I can't see how you could guess it...

Thanks again

Pollux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back