Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which distro ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

asm1

Technical User
Oct 9, 2003
GB
Hi all,
i want to move my website from XP over to a redhat 9 but when i went to i did not have a clue which to get. could some one please point me to the correct one.

i would like support for:

PHP
SSL

thanks

The tougher it gets the more you learn! The more you learn the tougher it gets!

You can go to their downloads section then choose a mirror site and go from there. You will be downloading the free version of RH 9. The other versions you see on their home page are for businesses or anybody that needs a very stable platform along with security and support. RH 9 is the last of the open source distros and will no longer be suported after April. They are not forgetting about us though. Their open source distros will now be called fedora. You can find out more about it here :

Sorry i actually meant which Apache

i think i am talking about LAMP, the website is already setup on an XP machine but i want to put Apache on my redhat box then move the website over but dont know how to install Apache on redhat. thanks for your help

unless you installed Red Hat as strictly work station, and chose not to install any servers, apache should be installed already. If you have the GUI installed, you can click Menu > Systems Settings > Server Settings > Services. You will see a list of stuff you can choose to have start at bootup. When you are done, click on the save button. If apche is indeed installed already, you will find the httpd.conf file in /etc/httpd/conf/. You will see the directive DocumentRoot. This is where your html files go. More than likely that directory will be /var/ You can change this to what ever you want but be sure to change the DocumentRoot directive and The Directory container difining it. Any time you make changes to httpd.conf, restart apache with:

apachectl restart

ok looked there and no Apache i must not have installed it, can i just put the redhat disk in, then boot from cd and choose to upgrade? then install apache or is there a better way? thx for your time.

Actually, you may be able to add them from the pachage manager. Check Menu > System Settings > Add/Remove Packages. If you don't have that then you can do as you suggested. Boot the install disk and do an upgrade with all the packages you want. Be sure to add the server stuff. :) You can also install packages one at a time using rpm if all else fails.

thanks got apache going now i will move the web site. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back