Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which DBMS should I switch to in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACCESSDUMMY

Programmer
Oct 22, 2003
US
We currently use Paradox for our database programming, but as we have heard Paradox will soon become obsolete. I understand it may continue to work, but as far as we know, no company is going to continue enhancing it. What we're trying to figure out now is which direction to head. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to use?
Thanks,
Amy

What is it you need to do that Paradox can't?

The answer to that will get things started.

Then...

Is this 'in-house' use?
How many users, if networked?
Do you have remote users?
Do you sell the program to 3rd parties?

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

Hi Tony,

Let me start by saying I love Paradox... it's what I know. We're not looking for something b/c we're not happy with Paradox and it's features. My boss just wants us to move towards a software package that will continue to get updates.. you know roll with the times. He's worried that Paradox might not work as we continue to upgrade our servers and operating systems.

We use Paradox strictly in-house. We are networked and have approximately 100+ users, and continue to grow. We do have remote users, and we use a Citrix server to publish some of our Paradox applications. Our network is Microsoft, and we also use the Microsoft Office programs throughout the company, so it may be necessary for us to head in that direction. I've tried searching for suggestions on the internet, and I hear a lot about MySQL... I'm just not sure what that is all about, or if it's even what we need. Does this help at all?

Thanks,
Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back