Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which computer is which?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcLara

Technical User
Dec 7, 2001
US
My boss has given me two identical computers and told me to find out which computer was used by an ex-employee. It's an NT machine. I was hoping that if I just boot it up I can see the default user, but its showing the administrator. Is there any way I can look at a user list file that can tell me which users are using a computer? If so what file should I be looking for

If it is not part of a domain, then the users would be listed in user manager, but those are users that have permission, not neccessarily those who have logged it. Easiest way is to login, go to c:\winnt\profiles (or is it c:\winnt\system32\profiles, its too early in the morning, can't remember), and you'll see the different profile directories of all users who have logged in.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back