Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which compiler do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAlvarez

Programmer
Dec 4, 2005
US
I'm taking a beginners assembly programming class. The book we are going to use is "Assembler Language Programming for IBM and IBM Compatible Computers [Formerly 370/360 Assembler Language Programming] (Formerly 370/360, Assembler Language Programming)"

The link to it is
Anyway my question what Assembly compiler do I need that will run the examples on this book(the book was made in 1986) and will run on my Pentium D(x86 maybe?) computer as well? Thanks for any help!

Ask your course tutor perhaps - everyone of the course will be in the same boat, and the tutor really should have an answer for this one.

IBM 360's are those ancient huge fill-a-room things of yester-year. The processor inside these machines had nothing to do with the Intel processor (or it's AMD equivalent) found in nearly every desktop "IBM-Compatible PC" ever built.

Now whilst learning the assembler for a dead? machine might be a nice exercise in itself, it seems unlikely you're going to be exercising those skills on a real piece of hardware anytime soon (unless your employer is specifically wanting this).

90%+ of people learning assembler probably go for x86 first, unless they have specific requirements for other modern processors like MIPS or ARM say.

You might be able to find an emulator for a 360 which runs on your desktop machine, but I didn't find anything useful in my searches.

--

Whats a good and prefably free x86 assembly compiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back