Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which certs should come first? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

heresahandle

Technical User
May 6, 2003
US
I'm going to be enrolling in IT training at one of the local colleges in my area. Basically, I'm signing up for a 2 year plan to get as many certifications as I can.

I'm starting off with A+ and Network+, but I'm not really sure where to go from there. I was thinking that I should go with Microsoft certification, but I'm not sure if CCNA would be a better path. I just don't know anything about the certifications to know what to do with them.

Any certifications you guys can think of...I'm sure they'll have it.

My question is...in what order should I be getting my certifications?

Tackle the A+ and Network+ fist. Then you'll have a little better background and better understanding of where your interests lie.

Don't rush it too fast. CompTIA certs are a good way to get your feet wet.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,CET,CST,CNST,CNCT,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

I agree. A+ is the most common place to start followed by Net+.

Once you have been in the industry for a while, see what you enjoy doing (not necessarily the best paying).

Set realistic goals for yourself. Example: To come fresh out of school and hold an MSCE, probably isn't going to get you into the position you want.

Go to school, earn some certs (by studying and setting up a small lab for yourself if practicle), and look for some entry level work. LEARN. Study more, work on more advance certs, apply for the next higher level position....etc...

It takes time. Good luck

Here's some pracitical advice.

The company I work for has two MCSEs that I am aware of, one is the IT manager, his cert is from NT 4.0, never uses it. The other does dispatching for deliveries, not even in IT. There may be more but not in IT.

We don't use Microsoft except on the desktop, and you don't need an MCSE to admin Win98, W2K or XP. Were my company hiring, the management would look at the MCSE doubtfully if there were no experience to back it up, even then they would look for experience in Linux and the platforms we use.

That's very interesting how some of them aren't used.

I'm hoping that I can learn enough from the first few certs (A+, Net+, etc.) that I can just breeze through MCSE "just to have it".

That's very useful to know which certifications are practical and which are not in the working world.

Thanks again everybody for the great advice.

For companies like Campyracr's you might want to check out the linux+ cert.

I agree with him. Not everybody loves Bill and his software. If you are looking for a job, the MCSE isn't a bad thing to have, at the same time, if you know what platform a company uses, you can save yourself some time & $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back