Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which brand to buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

atadbitslow

Programmer
Feb 26, 2001
US
If I am interested in burning DVDs and video editing, which of the following 3 manufacturer's systems is the best fit in terms of reliability and ease of use--HP, Sony, or Emachines??

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Bear in mind that the software used is more important that the system used. These days even older PC can easily burn DVD disks at a reasonable speed and quality, but using poor software can affect the issue more ! I use Nero for all my burning needs without any problem...

Simon Everitt, Lockwell Lectrics Ltd
System Administrator

If you can, or know somebody/business that can, custom building is still the best way to go. That way they can specifically fine tune a system to EXACTLY what you want, and it won't have all the garbage new systems come with.

Chris Biggers
ION Systems, Computer Sales and Service
Data Destruction services now!

Even though these machines are "so called" branded, Sony, HP and EMachines, they are still made up of a basic list of mixed components.
These components are supplied by several differant manufactures so for instance:
In a HP machine you might have a NEC DVD writer, a Mitzumi floppy drive, an unbadged ECS motherboard and a Samsung Hard drive.
The point I am trying to make is, A HP IS NOT MADE UP OF HP COMPONENTS, infact in some instances the only thing that is truesly HP is the badge.
So getting a custom built machine which is tailored to your specific needs is often a better bet and no less reliable.
You can choose the best DVD writer, pick the best platform for DVD recording and encoding and generally cherry pick the components that best suit your needs.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I second Paparazi I've built my own Rig and I've saved several $100's dollars,
but in the process I've gained the knowledge of how to build, and what hardware is best suited for the intended use a PC,
the hardest part of self built is the research and pricing,
'cause there is a lot of competition out there, but the learning curve is fast and in the end you'll be proud of having done so,
the second option is have a local reliable computer store to do it for you but,
go well armed with information on what hardware YOU want installed,
and if you know the price of each item it's even better, and since you have a forum here just describe how much you are willing to spend, and what you like the PC to do for you,
and you'll have plenty of info returned from guys in the know ,
and one more thing to remember HP, Sony etc, most of the PC manufacturer put together their PC's with the least expensive parts that work together well that generally are NOT "too" upgradeable :)I

yes, the worst part about buying a HP, Sony, or whatever, probably even Dell, is that these companies go to a mobo mfgr and say, ok, we are going to buy 100,000 of this mobo of yours, here is what we want to work, that is all we want, but here is the very low price, so if you have to disable or leave things out, we dont care, as long as the mobo will last for (plug in warranty time) and do the things we want it to do, and the price is this, we have a deal. So the mfgr supplies the minimum at the low price point to keep his factories going, keep the company name out there, etc.
And what the buyer gets is a mobo that cannot be upgraded in terms of a faster cpu. What you get is all you get.

Whereas, if you build it yourself, which is done every day with the help of forum people, or if you know someone who will build one for you, or even a mom and pop type small computer store to build one for you, its best to go that way. Then you can at least get a mobo that can be upgraded to a faster cpu down the road (you sell your original cpu and buy a new one and installation is easy), and upgraded in other ways too. Plus, you only get what you need. Plus you get a manual for the mobo, you can download updates for the mobo from the internet, etc, etc. Another thing, this way you can go on the net and download for free things like a word processor that will import microsoft word docs and other free progs that take the place of programs that you pay for when you buy a brand name computer at a retail outlet. And you only get what you want or need, no wasted money. Its the best way to get a new computer! Also, you can get progs from friends that dont want the prog any more, or maybe they got a newer version, thing like that.

Hey guys,
I'm building a computer and i need some help on what DVD drive. I'm not sure whether I want a DVD RW or CD RW.
Some help please!
Thanks in advance.

DVD RW should also handle a CD RW. Of the vendors mentioned, I would go for emachines. The main worry is that Gateway will screw them up.

heen,
The question of whether you buy a DVDRW or just a CDRW is a matter of need and usefulness to you as the user and as such you are the only one who can answer that.
Best brands well: LiteOn, MSI, Sony, Samsung FOR CDRW or
Sony, Plextor, NEC, Pioneer for DVDRW multiformat plus minus (go for one of the new 8 speed models)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back