Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which backup solution for SBS 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

unslog

Technical User
Jan 25, 2009
GB
Hi

Looking to purchase a new Dell server with sbs 2008.

Wanted to the best way\cost effective way forward for backing up the new server and what other small business are using these days.
Currently we are backing up to tape with our sbs 2008

i have seen the HP Storeworks TDX500 removable disk backup system , which isn't cheap. Docking station with 1 disk costs £400 .Then I would need to purchase 5 more disks (one for each day) £194 X 5 = £970. Total backup solution £1370

The other option i was thinking was to buy 6 Hitachi Rugged 500GB portable hard drives at £54.99 each , and just swap each night via USB and store in safe afterwards,

How much data will you be backing up? It might be worth looking at some sort of online backup service.

The problem with removable disks or tapes is that you have to remember to swap them over every day (or someone does) and to take them offsite (for DR purposes).

With online backup you can just schedule it and just let it run. Many system will also take a local copy which you can restore more quickly if required.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back