Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which applications are installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossco6

MIS
Jan 14, 2004
GB
Hopefully someone can help me!

I've inherited a Solaris server and am wondering what is the best way to find out which applications are installed on it.

If you assume I have little or no Solaris/Unix experience, you wont be far wrong!

Thanks

Things installed on Solaris come in packages. The command [tt]pkginfo[/tt] will show you all of the installed packages. You can also do a "[tt]man pkginfo[/tt]" to find out about parameters you can give the command.

Hope this helps.

as Sam writes, most Solaris SW is installed in packages, but there are some Applications (afaik Oracle) bring their own Installroutine and just unpack/copy files; these applications are hard to find/identify and there is just one best practise: the file /var/sadm/install/contents contains a list of files which are installed by pkgadd; if zou run find / -print you will get a list of all files on this host. Next step is: diff these lists and you will find out what is installed by copying/untaring

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back