Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which app is dialing my ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambu

Programmer
Nov 20, 2002
GB
Every now and the my pc will connect to the internet without any prompting from me.

I usually connect, send/receive email and select a number of web pages to read offline. I am aware that some sites like drudgereport and cnn refresh after a while but I am pretty sure that I had no pages that refresh automatically loaded at the time. Also you can see the progress bar in IE working when that happens.

I am using an XP Pro pc that is connecting over a network to a win 98 laptop that has the modem.

Is there anyway to check which app is dialing or which app requested the connection first?

get a firewall like sygate or zonealarm. they show all running apps that attempt to connect to the internet. XP has several drivers that like to "phone home" often such as ndisuio.sys and ntoskrnl.sys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back