Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Antivirus for Exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllUserNamesAreTaken

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2005
GB
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase an Antivirus for my new Exchange server. I only have one Exchange server, and this is the first.

I run Symantec on all other servers, seems to be OK, but read a lot about others that seem to be better than Symantec.

Anyone got any input?

I Use a product called Sophos PureMessage.

Deals well with viruses and spam and has addition features such as the ability to add a disclaimer to emails without all the hassle. No problems so far!

I've got winproxy already for scanning, and MIMEsweeper for detecting spam. I was after purely antivirus and not sophos. A friend uses Sophos business edition and he says pushing updates out of it to other servers is real hassle.

Thanks for your input anyhow, much appreciated.

I run Symantec for AV and spam on Exchange, and it does a good job. It doesn't, however, integrate much with the tools you're used to with the Symantec Corporate Anti-virus edition. They're basically standalone products.

echo to jpm121, i also use sav for exchange, so far so good

Alright. Well I'm going to try the Sybari Antigen, as it's recommended by Microsoft, but depending on cost and implications etc, we'll see how I go on from there.

Thanks for the input upto now.

I use Symantec Mail Security for Exchange but a ton of people have very good success with Trend.

Let me second Antigen from Sybari (bought last year by Microsoft). At my previous job we used it for several years and never had a virus slip past. I changed jobs in November 2004 and at the new place they were using Symantec's Mail Security. Between Novemer and July 2005 we had 3 different e-mail viruses come in because Symantec didn't update their signatures quickly enough. We switched to Antigen when the Symantec license expired and haven't had a problem since.

We're using Trend Micro Client Server Messaging Security and it's working great. It's a lot easier to manage and deploy than the Symantec products we've used in the past and the cost savings are great.

58Sniper and crobin1 :

I've installed Sybari Antigen 8.0 and 9.0 at nearly all my customer locations but I recently noticed it is letting through a lot of spam. We get a lot of those Trader Alert emails which is basically a bogus header with an image (usually pink) that contains info about trader alert. I've contacted Sybari and mail-filters.com (they are the ones that supply the anti-spam engines to Sybari) and they said they are working on it (for the past 2 months) ! Are you having these problems ? I've resorted to manually keying in subject headers to block for now which helps but EXTREMELY time consuming. I also have the Spam Manager 2.0 option. I've always recommended Sybari to all my clients but I'm starting to think twice. I do agree that virus scanning part works very well. I've never seen a virus get through. I heard Sybari is comming out with v.10 later this year which includes a new virus engine from MS. Free upgrade apparently !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back