Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where's the option to display errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomix

Programmer
Aug 14, 2002
US
I just installed XP SP2 and IE sure seem to behave differently with some of my scripts.

First, pages that have scripting errors no longer display a window with the error and line number in it, making troubleshooting a little hard. Somewhere in IE I think there's an option to turn this error window back on, but I can't find it. Any clues? (Duplicating this error seems to be easy - build a page with a form on it, and on the body tag, add the statement onload="document.form1.LastName.focus()" Prior to SP2, I would get an error saying that this was either null or not an object (true), but with SP2, no message at all)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
uncheck "Disable script debugging"
check "Display a notification about every script error"

=========================================================
-jeff
try { succeed(); } catch(E) { tryAgain(); } finally { rtfm(); }

Thanks, jemminger, for the quick reply. That's the right place, but it didn't help my situation.

What the final culprit was (or is) is my Norton Internet Security software. If a page has javascript in it somewhere (even as simple as <script language="javascript></script> ) the NIS stuff inserts a few more scripts into the page on the fly. Most of these additional scripts start with Sym (SymError, SymOpen) and the net effect is to nullify any scripting errors that occur on that page. If I turn off NIS for a minute, the error windows come back as expected. Just a little bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back