Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where's the free stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerSlayer

Technical User
Jan 21, 2005
FR
Not too sure where to start this thread.

I’m just starting out in the business of fixing computer and obviously my budget is tight. There must be tons of freebie (freeware) programs, utilities etc out there. What free software could you computer fixers not do without? With so many programmers saying their product is the best and the odd false testimonials, I don’t want to get my fingers or wallet burnt. Obviously, when the cash starts flowing, a few ‘blats’ will make there way to the writers of good software. A brief description and a url to the download site would be of use
I’m sure this thread and the information given will be of use to many of the forum member as well.

forget the MS anti spyware program... go for AdAware lavasoft.com and Spybot safernetworking.org, also AVG virus scanner free edition grisoft.com and ZoneAlarm Free Edition zonelabs.com

HFnetCHKPro v4 from Shavlik is free up to 10 computers, Ethereal is a very competent network sniffer, Western Digital has an interesting hard drive testing utility (and it works on everything I've thrown at it) and I think GFI has a couple of products that are free as long as they're for just a few computers. I'd recommend doing a Google search on free software and including the type of software you're looking for--network sniffers, patch testers, memory testing utilities, etc...

Just a few thoughts,

Joe Brouillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back