Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where's me disk space gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

euston

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB

I am installing XP Pro. I am mystified to see that although the installed system should take up about 8GB, I am told that 14GB of disk space on C: has been used. I cannot find the phantom files. The pagefile is on the second drive.

XP seems to have a trick up its sleeve but I am not in on the secret.

Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!

OOPS!!! Well can't you tell I'm a Windows 2000 man. The extra 6GB was system restore stuff. I'm not used to this high-tech XP.

Sigh!

Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!

Have a read of this and the links contained in these threads.

Relocating Hard Drive Capacity and File Compression
thread779-939540

Hard Disk still full after deleting large files
thread779-1136701

You may also want to try Crap Cleaner.

Additionally, since your hard drive is broken into blocks (and, for example, each block may be 64K) that means that a 1K file will actually use 64K, a 65K file will actually use 128K, etc.

So, a bunch of "little" files will take up considerably more space percentage wise.

The reason for this? Your directory structure doesn't map *every* single byte. It maps it into blocks; it essentially says "The file starts at block xxxxx, read from that starting point until you get an EOF".

(OK, I know that's over-simplified, but it gets the idea)

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back