Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where would I obtain UNIX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawz21

Technical User
Oct 31, 2000
US
I am just looking to try out the great, wonderful os of UNIX.. and my first dilemma starts at obtaining it? Can anyone tell me where I can download/purchase a copy? All help is appreciated. (I am semi-veteran at networking and wish to expand knowledge of UNIX). Thanks, again.

Look to sco.com. they have a media price only for home use for their version openserver 5.0.5.
Go on e-bay and look for unix or openserver. You'll find plenty there. May take a week or two for suitable to show up. If you are interested in SCO you'll want openserver enterprise ver 5.0.2 or higher.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

alternatively try Sun Solaris ... Much easier to configure and run, (if all hardware is compatible) or linux (most hardware is compatible but you might have to download it from the web)

RedHat Linux is ok, Suse Linux is easy enough (use this one ourselves at work)

There are advantages to each and every style.

at least 2 had been mentioned ... but i forgive you :)

ok - good, strong, technical point there
Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com

I bought a copy of RedHat Linux from CompUSA. I bought a copy of FreeBSD from FreeBSD.org, and I got a copy of Solaris 8 for Intel directly from Sun. All were less than $40.00. I've really enjoyed Unix for the last nine years. My favorite is Linux, but that's mostly because I can download and try new, free software all the time.

hi, in my opinion, redhat linux is the best. or try freebsd. it's wondwrful =)

good luck!

How does one dredge up a thread that was last replied to 6 months ago? Do some people have nothing better to do than browse and browse and browse and browse...

This just amazes me! LOL!

hi AIXSPadmin,

i'm sorry :( , i'm newbie and i didn't heed on it. i was allowed to advise only.

so, forgive me!

stevo

:)

You cannot get UNIX ! At least not like you would get windows ;-) Unix is truely an operating system and a registrated trademark, but you would never find it in a box link windows.

Many hardware vendors did implement Unix for there workstations and servers. I can think of IBM with AIX, SUN with Solaris, HP with HPUX, and lot's of other, and recently Apple with Mac OS-X.

If you buy, for exemple, a SUN Workstation, you will automatically get Solaris Operating Environment.

You could truely install Solaris or other UNIX's on your PC (only Intel processor), but I would not advise you to do that, except to learn something (or to support your customers).

There is a very well known "Unix-derivate". It is not UNIX, but it is based on the same standards (POSIX) and has been entirely rewritten first by Linus Torwald and then by a very enthousiastic community :

Let's go Linux !

It is very intuitive, even with 0 knowledge of Unix you could get a system up and running... and it is fascinating. You have a lot of distribution you could buy for less then 100$ or download for free.

Kind regards !
Laurent

can i disagree?

>You could truely install Solaris or other UNIX's on your PC (only Intel processor), but I would not advise you to do that, except to learn something (or to support your customers).

IMHO, linux is harder to set up than solaris. and as far as my programmer instincts are concerned it will either work with your hardware or it won't ... you don't need to install linux from CD, download the latest kernel, compile the latest kernel, install the driver patches, compile the kernel, install the kernel ... find that some b*st*rd has compiled the SCSI driver to work with his scanner exclusively and have to manually modify the source code to allow your SCSI scanner to work ... etc.

Linux does have more support ... you can get more applications to run on it ... but you can also say that about windows ...

btw all the things you said about linux, being downloadable for free/less than 100$ ... that's about the same for most OS's ...

even Apple have got for intel based PC's ...

Hi... altough most of you have provided useful resources, I would like to mention that some universities provide UNIX access/registration. try and go to student resources, you will need to fill in a form then u can registeer to get it for free. u can use a browser or run telnet to access it.

Rif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back