Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to Start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddha75

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
I am interested in exploring a career in database administration. I have checked out Oracle's website (Oracle University) but it doesn't really offer a starting point for people new to the database field.

I have two questions:

1. Where does a newbie to the database field start in Oracle? Should I concentrate on the latest and greatest or start with Oracle 8 or 9i?

2. Is it worth the trouble? I have heard from people that most companies won't touch you unless you have at least 2 to 5 years of experience.

Any feedback would be apprecitated. I'm looking to make a career change in light of the recent overseas outsourcing craze.

Thanks,

Bud

Hi, Bud

8i exams have been retired so now the choices are 9i or 10g. In my part of the country 9i is more used than 10g is so I am going that route. If, later on, I decide to upgrade my certification to 10g then I can take one test to move up.

The OCP manuals published by Oracle Press are pretty good for preparing for the tests because they also give a pretty good background as how the internals of Oracle work.

HTH,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA
TCMHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back