Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to start after installing SMS 2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2004
CA
Hello. When installing SMS 2003, I made it primary site, custom setup, extend the active directory, SQL Server 2000 with SP3 and all that.
I want to deploy some softwares to client xp computers. Where do I start? Install clients? Where? I'm really new at this. Help would be greatly appriciated.

I did the discovery thing. Before I do some pushing, it's like this- this xp computer is in the same domain and I can't see anyone else in the Collections from the SMS except the SMS Server 2003 from Site Database, Site Hierachy then Collections. And I'm thinking I can add that xp computer through right-click Collections, New then Collection. And I'm stuck in that Collection Properties dialog box. What do I put in that name? Client's computer name, user name? And in that Membership Rules tab, clicked on 'Create Direct Membership Rule Wizard,' what goes in the Value?

After running discovery, go to the collections tab, right click and choose ALL TASKS-Update collection membership.
Then, hit refresh. If you don't see more Pc's,etc... check your discovery settings.

As for adding a resource to a collection, right click a collection, go to properties -membership rules, choose to add......
resource class---system resource
attribute name----Name
Value----a computer's name here that has been discovered
You can choose to search in a collection(like or leave it blank)
Select that puppy and add it.
Then, update collection membership and refresh

There are also custom queries out there to add resources, etc...
This is a manual way to get your you know what wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back