Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to get Xyratex Gigabit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfusion

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
US
I want to price-compare the cost of buying a Xyratex Gigabit interface from a Xyratex reseller versus direct from NAI. However, unlike Adaptec interfaces, I cannot find Xyratex anywhere. Only Xyratex storage solutions. Any ideas?

Sr. Network Engineer
ArcLight Systems, LLC

Im not sure, but i believe it is NAI propriaty hardware, builded by Xyratec espcially for NAI.

If i am wrong, lease correct me, but i have never been able to find another supplier for the card.
Robert

Robert A.H. Wullems
Sniffer University Instructor
SCM / CNX / MCP
Citee Education
the Netherlands

You are correct. I emailed Xyratex and the told me they have a contract with NAI to make them for NAI only and they cannot be purchased anywhere but through NAI.

Sr. Network Engineer
ArcLight Systems, LLC

Mark,

Also to answer you question on Xyratex they are actually owned by a reseller (which you have probably already found out). Not sure how comfortable this makes you feel. They do mainly focus on Fibre Channel Analyzers but are generally behind in technology. If you want a cheaper solution for Gig that outperforms Sniffer you may want to look at Fluke OPV-PE box or Finisar THGs box. They do full duplex for 10/100/1000 for a fraction of the price of the Sniffer Gig Solutions and at full line rate. Finisar actually OEM's the unit to Fluke so generally they are a version ahead in software revisions.

J

I have a XYRATEX GB-EN-PA SX card. Does anyone know what it is? Xyratex was no help to me at all.

Hi,
(Same response posted to the "GIG ART" post (dated 10/01/03))

Just for Clarification;
1. ART is still not available for Sniffer Pro (portable) or Sniffer Distributed

With respect to the Gig NICs;
1. The Cards are made by Xyratec for NAI, and can't be purchased else where. Similar Xytratec cards can't be used as diferent NIC firmware is required.
2. The original Xyratec cards (NAI P/N - NIC-GBSX-NA-200) (Xyratec P/N of card - NGC-1507401, Model - Gb-EN-PA-SX), requires the use of a "loop-back connector" when used in "end-station" modes. The new cards (NIC-GBSX-NA-300)(shipped since v4.2), have a sticker on them, informing you "Do Not Attach Loop-back Connetcor"
3. For people with Dolch PAC 64s using the GIG cards, they do require a "Power Card". This is because of the following;
The system boards of the Dolch PAC 64, are powered by an "AT" power supply, which means that the board operates using 5 Volts. The Gig cards require 3.3V to operate. The power card is used to convert 5V from the sys board to 3.3V for the card! It is not required to use these "power cards" in any thing other than the PAC64s. (The PAC 65s and the current Dolch FlexPAC, has a sys board voltage of 3.3V, as they have ATX power supplies).

For those people who want some sort of Gigabit application responce times, it's well worth looking at Niksun's NetVCR (
Hope the above makes sense,
Alf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back