Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to begin in pursuing Oracle career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdthomas02

Technical User
Jul 21, 2008
US
Hello everyone,

I am interested in obtaining an Oracle certification but do not know where to begin. I am new to this but I work with Access so I do have an understanding of databases. I spoke with someone recently and was told to learn Linux. The person was very vague in giving out any information, he acted like I was trying to break into Fort Knox, on the subject. I would really appreciate it if someone could just point me into the right direction and help me get started. I know Oracle and Access are totally different but I am ready to put in the work to obtain this incredible certification. I am going to do this on my own because I cannot afford to attend any boot camps, Oracle classes, or community colleges. Can anyone out there help?

Thanks,

bdthomas02

Linux and Oracle XE are free to download. Set them up and try some things. Worst case scenario is you'll have to reinstall them a few times before you figure it out. I'm sure I installed linux a dozen times before I figured out I shouldn't try to do everything as root because it is far too dangerous. I started using oracle about two years ago with no significant DB experience. I've read the reference manuals. If thats too much for you, I recommend starting with the Oracle PL/SQL pocket reference and the documentation available on Oracle's site.

-----------------------------------------
I cannot be bought. Find leasing information at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back