Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where should I plug the On/Off button plugs? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
pc_connectors_04_ftkr4g.jpg

This is where I have them plugged now, but I guess they're not in the right place. Unless the reason the pc is not booting up is something else.
Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34 FX.

Thanks guys

Page 21 of the PDF in the attached zip.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fcdff152-1a98-49a5-9808-6228318367e0&file=M7641v5.1.zip
It seems the plugs are in their right place!
So that means that something else is the culprit.

What should be the next thing in line?

Very next thing is to short the power pins with a screwdriver blade to diagnose a possible bad power switch.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Confirm that the power supply unit has the large plug properly connected to the motherboard, and also check that a smaller (usually 8 pin, but can be as few as 4) are connected to the motherboard near the CPU as well. Also, remove ALL cards. Check that your memory and CPU are properly seated, see if it will power on again. You can even strip out the memory as well. If the MB beeps 3 times on startup that just says "there is a memory problem", but you'll see fans spinning, and you will have eliminated a lot of other stuff. Then, one by one, add components back to the board, until something causes it to fail.

Also, if this is all a brand new build, you may have a bad motherboard or power supply. If you have an alternate power supply to test, you may be able to eliminate one or the other as well. Otherwise, it's going to be difficult if what I recommended doesn't work.

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

There you go.
Don't feel bad. I've built over 1000 machines in my day, and have made that mistake before.

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back