Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where or how RAIDSTART is run? RAID not autostarting at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgazzane

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
US
I have been haveing this issue where the raid will not mount after a re-boot. I have been recreating the raid0 using the mkraid command and then it will mount. I now have found I need to issue a "raidstart" command then I can mount the /dev/md0 device without recreating it.

So where does the raidstart command go? How does the raid get started during boot time so the drive will mount?
Using Mandrake 8.2.
Thanks.

I've never done software RAID before, but I would put the raidstart command in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but it will work. I would also edit the /etc/fstab file to mount the RAID device upon boot.

ChrisP

Chris, I put the command "raidstart /dev/md0" in the rc.local followed by mount /dev/md0. That did work. After rebooting I checked with a df -k and there it was.
I already had the fstab file modified to mount the device but that did not work because of the raidstart not running. The rc.local is run after all other init stuff so the fstab has already been processed before the raidstart command is given so it won't mount. Does that sound correct?

Thanks for the help. I've got so much to learn!!

Yeah, that sounds right. The rc.local file is one of the last files processed by init.

ChrisP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back