Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where on the web can I find tcl/tk instructions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desmondkenny

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
IE
ok.....I'm only starting tcl/tk (well....trying to) and I don't know anything. I also haven't got anything to work with and can't find anything very usefull on the web. is there a good site that'll teach me all I need to know to write a tk prog?

I need to be able to call another C program from tk and get results returned, etc....

The site that matrix187 provided seems to be an interesting and useful site if you're a Perl programmer wanting to learn about Perl's port of Tk. But it isn't very useful for someone wanting to learn Tcl/Tk.

To get started with Tcl/Tk, a good site to check out is The Tcl'ers Wiki, a collaboratively edited collection of Tcl wisdom and programming tips, located at (or equivalently, Specifically, you might like to check out the page "In the beginning - first stop for someone new to Tcl and Tk," Another good place to check would be the Tcl Developer Xchange at although that site is starting to suffer a bit of link rot.

The "bible" for Tcl is Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk, 3rd ed., by Brent Welch, ISBN 0-13-022028-0, an immensely useful book which I highly recommend. However, a better way to learn Tcl from scratch is Teach Yourself Tcl/Tk in 24 Hours, by Venkat V. S. Sastry and Lakshmi Sastry, ISBN 0672317494.

I'd also be remiss in not mentioning that my company, Avia Training and Consulting, provides Tcl/Tk training. :) Our contact information is given below. - Ken Jones, President
Avia Training and Consulting
866-TCL-HELP (866-825-4357) US Toll free
415-643-8692 Voice
415-643-8697 Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back