Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where is xconfig or menuconfig 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicycleboy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2002
US
How do I, or where can I, get either menuconfig or xconfig? We use Linux in a fairly vanilla configuration on a number of machines, but need to create some test equipment using ieee1394 drivers in the kernal. I have good instructions on how to recompile the kernal for this procedure, have the kernel source, and approx 20 years of UNIX experience.

BUT...I can not find either make configuration tool as spelled everywhere on web and manuals. There is a Menuconfig that installs in the source directory. When I run a, "make Menuconfig" in the ieee1394 source directories I get errors that indicate to me Menuconfig is not what I am looking for. I have a considerable amount of code under /usr/src so believe I have the relevant source and it came from the install disks.

Hardware: HP Netserver dual 166 (six years old)
Software: RedHat 7.3 with kernel version 2.4.18-3

As long as you have the sources you should be okay. There is no external menuconfig or xconfig program per se, it's one of the targets in the toplevel Makefile. Therefore

make menuconfig
make xconfig

should work if run from the directory /usr/src/linux and the required packages are installed (such as tk/tcl for menuconfig)

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back