Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where is the Word .DIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

baileymi

MIS
May 6, 2004
US
I am looking for the Microsoft Word file that holds the dictionary. I've done a search on the hard drive for .dic and only come up with the custom. I want this file to transfer to another program that uses a .dic. I'd like to utilize a more vast dictionary in this other program.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

When in MS word select tools, options , spelling and grammer tab.b then click the box marked DICTIONARIES and this will show the full path name ( location ) of the dictionary that word uses :)

If you dont ask you wont get :)
Steve Poole
Technical Analyst
Cinram UK ltd

Thank you, but this path just leads me to the custom.dic where there are just a few custom entries listed. I need the entire dictionary that Word uses.

Thank you,
Michelle

OK, then does anyone know what the file is that holds the complete dictionary in Word?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Michelle

Sorry, but no, you can not get at the file with the Word builtin dictionary. The dictionary is a COM object and you can not access it...at least not unless you reverse engineer it, and that would be both difficult and a violation of your license agreement. Please see thread707-778242 for further information.

Technically it is one of the .lex (for lexicon) files in the SharedProof folder. Again though, it is NOT editable.

You can make custom dictionaries; you can even make an excluding dictionary, but the builtin dictionary installed is determined by the system language settings.

Gerry

Thanks for the feedback, I will look into .dic files online and maybe I'll find something I can use.

Thanks again, I'm lovin this forum!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back