Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where is the IE6 Favorites list stored? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin4228

Technical User
Nov 29, 2008
GB
I am running IE6 under Win98SE with all available updates to both.

I would like to be able to transfer my Favorites list (ie. all the commonly used internet addresses) to other machines.

Does anyone know please in which file it is located, and therefore if the list can be transferred by just copying across that file?

Suggestions appreciated,

colin4228

its stored in the userprofil (doc+settings-username) favarites folder (hidden systemfolder).
u either copy the folder or u go to ie6 file-menu-import/export

Thank you very much, Lemon 13

I think that the doc+settings location is an XP feature and is not to be found in Win 98SE.

However your alternative suggestion of IE6-file-dropdown menu-import/export solved the problem. This enables a favorites file of extension .htm to be copied (exported) to a selected location. In another machine, this file can be accessed and imported using the same IE6- file etc. route and it works just fine. Many thanks for the info.

I apologise to the forum for the double post of this question. My first post did not seem to be registered, but then both appeared. I could not see how to delete one of them.

Question answered, many thanks once again.

colin4228

in answer to where is ie favorites stored.
it is stored in windows under the subdirectory or ( folder ) favorites.
to unhide the directory or folder
click on my computer
click on view
click on folder options
click on view
under hidden files click on show all files
some programs allow you to import ie favorites
i know opera and firefox do.

ie favorites is located in windows.
the folder is named favorites.
if you can't find it because it is hidden,
click on my computer.
when bit opens click on view
the click on folder options
when that box comes up
click on view again
under hidden files
click on show all files

This doesn't relate to your question other than superficially but have you considered creating a backup directory on your hard drive where you can save your favorites, your cookies, and your address book?

And in the same line of questioning, if you use outlook express, have you considered changing the location of you mail store location to a more accessible location where it can be backed up more easily?

One of the issues I see regularly is users who have all of the above on a hard drive that has failed and have never done a backup. Not only do most not know where things are but also lack the skills to help themselves recover what is important to them.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thank you very much johnrfsr and edfair for your further posts in this thread.

Yes, I have now found the favorites folder at C:\Windows\Favorites after I selected the "show hidden files option"

The folder is described as a "Shell Favorite Folder". That I can easily now copy/save/transfer to other machines.

The address book is at C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book. It is the .wab file you need, not the other one with a .wa^ extension. If transferring this .wab file to another machine, it may well be that the other machine gives its address book a different name (but it will still be of extension .wab). In this case :-

1. In the other machine, re-name its address book from XYZ.wab to XYZold.wab (so you can retrieve it if ever this is needed)
2. Copy the new .wab into the other machine at the same place.
3. Then re-name the newly copied file XYZ.wab. This works for me.

About the location of Outlook Express files, I always make a folder C:\My Documents\E-Mail Files and specify to Outlook Express that this is where I want my e mail stuff to be located. Then when periodically I back up My Documents onto a second hdd and also onto a second or third computer, I know that all the latest e mail stuff will be there safe and sound.

I would never not have a second hard drive in any fixed machine upon which I rely for data retention, and I use it for data back-up on a very regular basis.

All above comments relate to Win98SE OS.

you may want to unclick show hidden files.
this is a protection to prevent accidental deletion of files.
if the file is not shown, it can't be deleted.

johnrfsr

Johnrfsr

is quite right to caution about the showing of hidden files and the risk to system functionality of any modification thereof. The inappropriate modification of hidden files can seriously harm your system.

I use Norton GOBack as a program to restore to "as was" any inadvertant or uninvited variation of my files. GOBack has "saved my bacon" loads of times now.

I strongly commend Norton Go-Back it as an add-on to Win 98SE.

(It is my understanding from friends that Win XP has included a commensurate RESTORE capability).

colin4228

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back