Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where is the 'definitive' site to look for RPMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beria

Technical User
Sep 7, 2000
GB
40percent.net
I've installed redhat 6.2, and I want to set it up as a firewall - so I need to be sure that I'm using the most up-to-date versions of packages. I want to load wu-ftp, and the (pretty crap) redhat doc says load up NetKit-B, which isn't on the CD. But wu-ftpd source is, but that comes with patches which I can't (ahem) apply...

If someone can tell me where to get the correct RPM, or tell me the way to apply the patches with the wu-ftpd source code, I'll buy them a beer... honest... [sig][/sig]

For the latest RedHat RPMs, the first port of call should be [sig]<p> Andy Bold<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>"I've probably made most of the mistakes already, so hopefully you won't have to..." Me, most days.[/sig]

If you want to stay completely up to date, you should not use RPMs, instead get the tarballs from the homepage for the product and compile and make them on the server.

This also allows much more flexibility in optimizing and configuring your system. Alot of times RPMs only compile in the essentials for the software and leave out all of the extra goodies.

The PHP RPM that I tried doesnt include support for mysql!

Regards,
Gerald
[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back