Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where is the data stored in sql!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesmith

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2001
IE
We are currently designing our new web based system using sql server as the backbone...

Now we have created it to an extent on our internal servers we want to transfer our data to another server which has links to our webserver (heaven forbid we would give people access to our intranet)

As we have only been developing in sql for a few months (i'm a access bud) i'm not actually sure where the tables/data are stored.

Can someone tell me what to search for, which files i need and steps i need to take to ensure i don't change any of the structures.

I don't want to mirror the whole SQL server and program and everything as we already have a fully working version on our other machine!!

Cheers if you can help,

Dave

When you create a database you will have specified devices, and whenever you create a table you specify which device to store it on, or it goes to the default device. There isn't necessarily one device per database.
You should be able to view the devices in the console, or you can find the .dat files on the server's hardrive (usually a huge file)
To transfer the data, you can either use the DTS (if the servers are connected) or if you want to send the data to someone else (something we did whilst working with another company) then you can create a backup of the data, and send them the backup, which they can load onto their SQL server.

I have had a search through and i have found a file called AMIS.mdf (AMIS being the project i'm working on), but i'm going to try putting the other server onto the same intranet, export the database using the export option in sql.

This should work!! (i hope)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back