Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where in the TCP/IP packets the payload is placed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikotech

MIS
May 13, 2015
BG
Hello,
I am a beginner in this area and reading the about the tcp/ip stack I see that each layer has its own payload field.
If we assume that the structure of the stack components is as follows:
Aplication
Transport
Network
Data Link
Physical Link
And we know that each of the abovementioned layers has its own payload layer following question arises:
In which layer is placed the actual payload data being transferred?
If the answer (for example) is the data is placed into the application layer, then what's inside the other layers payloads?
Are they empty?
Excuse me, English is not my native language!

The actual data being transmitted is in the inner most layer. The pay load of the lower layers is the layers above it.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Each layer encapsulates the data from the layer above; the Transport layer encapsulate all data received from the Application layer, the Network layer encapsulates data from the Transport layer, etc:

Let’s say that you are browsing a web site. The web server on which the website is hosted will create and encapsulate the application data with the Application layer headers. For example, the HTTP OK message will be stored in the header, followed by the requested content of the web page.
The encapsulated data will then be forwarded to the next layer, the Transport layer. The Transport layer will add its own header around the encapsulated data. In the case of the TCP protocol, this can be something like the source and destination ports or the sequence number.
The data will then be forwarded to the next layer, the Network layer. The Network layer will store the source and destination IP addresses in its header and forward the data to the Data Link layer. This is the only layer that uses both the header and trailer.

encapsulation_process.jpg

Source: Data encapsulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back