Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHERE IN CLAUSE WITH same literal

Status
Not open for further replies.

skcvasanth

Programmer
Mar 23, 2016
US
Hi, I'm working on a application program where I need to use where in function to include my literals which are received during run time. Assume below is my table.
Table name : Master
SEQ_NO NAME
1 XXXX
2 YYYY
1 ZZZZ

My queries are..
The literals will change based on the need.

select * from master where seq_no in(1,2)
This query is returning just 3 rows which seems to be OK and I don't have questions on that.
select * from master where seq_no in(1,1)
This query is returning just 2 rows. It makes sense because only 2 rows are available. I'm using DB2 and the question is how DB2 decides it's the same row and eliminates the second literal and not returning 4 same rows ? if the literals are same, it just ignores the 2nd one ?
select * from master where seq_no in(2,2)
This query is returning just 1 row. It makes sense because only 1 row is available. I'm using DB2 and the question is.. how DB2 decides it's the same row and eliminates the second literal and not returning 2 same rows ? if the literals are same, it just ignores the 2nd one ?

Thanks for your help in Advance!
CVR

HI,

(1,1) returns 1 row despite there are 2 rows in your example.

(2,2) returns 2 rows despite there is 1 row in your example.

Did I get this correct?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

thanks for the response skipvought!

Sorry - The question I placed was exchanged between for some reason. I didn't mean that way. I corrected my most.

(1,1) returns 2 rows. -- > how DB2 decides it's the same row and eliminates the second literal and not returning 4 same rows ? if the literals are same, it just ignores the 2nd one ?

(2,2) returns 1 rows. --> how DB2 decides it's the same row and eliminates the second literal and not returning 2 same rows ? if the literals are same, it just ignores the 2nd one ?

Ahhhh!

I believe that I see what your are assuming. You're saying that you expect ...

IN (1) to return
[pre]
SEQ_NO NAME
1 XXXX
1 ZZZZ
[/pre]

IN (1,1) to return
[pre]
SEQ_NO NAME
1 XXXX
1 ZZZZ
1 XXXX
1 ZZZZ
[/pre]

IN (1,1,1) to return
[pre]
SEQ_NO NAME
1 XXXX
1 ZZZZ
1 XXXX
1 ZZZZ
1 XXXX
1 ZZZZ
[/pre]

...etc.

Does not work that way. The IN() statement is like a list of ORs. All it's requiring is to return the rows that meet the criteria: and there are only TWO rows that meet that criteria.

If you want what you expect, then use UNIONs
[pre]
UNION
[/pre]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back