Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where do you write your code ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TipGiver

Programmer
Sep 1, 2005
Hi all,

I know the basics of java and OO programming in general. I might need to work a little with java... So i'll ask some questions (later on) on java.
Starting, where should i write the code? Do you suggest anything better than JCreator or netbeans ?
I know that none of these is required as java code is plai text.

Thanks

This has been the topic of many threads in this forum in the past.

The usual answer is that a plain text editor will force you to learn the syntax quickest, and will make you use the Java API Docs heavily since there will be no code completion and method prompts etc. So you'll learn the libraries quicker, and more fully, too.

An IDE will be more productive with the actual code you write and they usually provide a rich set of refactoring tools allowing you to 'massage' your code far faster. But you'll not be learning much, IMO. If you want to use an IDE, I usually recommend Eclipse. It has plenty of features and add-ons and should cover all of your needs (whatever they are). I've not used JCreator or NetBeans so can't really comment on them.

Tim

Hi

I agree with Tim. I learned more in a few days while I used DOS Navigator, then in months using Eclipse. But of course, when have to produce, then certainly an IDE is better.

I used two IDES, NetBeans and Eclipse. My opinion is that NetBeans is better. Especially for beginners. It helped me more then Eclipse with learning web applications. And NetBeans also helped me with designing GUI.

Feherke.

I use Eclipse but our first year java was notepad oriented. But don't expect any quick results except when copy-pasting.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"My new site" - Me

I'll put in my 2 cents: I like ConText. It's a free editor that has little more support than any other text editor (hence, the benifits of learning the syntax) but it has syntax highlighting, parenthesis matching, and execution keys that can be set to, say, javac amd java.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back