Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where do I start my journey... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuxAeterna

Technical User
Feb 11, 2009
US
I've just been given a project - to be the 'master' of the new shoretel phone system. I'm not an IT person. I'm not a network engineer. I'm a basic joe who is open to learning QUICKLY. I'm the one people come to in the office when something is wrong with their computer and I happen to be able to fix most probs (I think this worked to my disadvantage in this case!).

Anyone have any tips on where to start understanding the world of telephony? Of course, I've downloaded Shoretel's guides but where do I start understanding the mumbo-jumbo glossary of words that I see here in forums? Websites, etc?

There is a Shoretel forum at Tek-Tips.

"Adversity is Opportunity

Just don't mention RJ-45 ;-)

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Just to have around you might pick up a copy of Newton's Telecom Dictionary.

Get a congenial old retired guy that will answer your questions and not tell U too many stories. They have a wealth of information and if U get the right guy he will be better than any book.
but the best book is Understanding Telephone Electronics, Fourth Edition (Newnes): Joseph Carr, Steve Winder, Stephen Bigelow: and buy a copy of Newtons. But don't believe everything in Newtons. They have a bunch of stuff wrong in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back