Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where do I save new version of DirectX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
Where?
Using XP Home SP3.

Thanks

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster is a maniac?."
George Carlin

I didn't ask from where I might download it. I asked where to save it.

I.E. : in which folder should all those DLLs etc. be filed?

BTW: I sympathise with your byline (a misquote from one of the laws of engineering) but you must remember that each of the laws is subject to a caveat, to whit: "These are the laws of engineering, the art is knowing which law to apply in a particular instance." :)

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster is a maniac?."
George Carlin

Hi,
Are you not installing it in the usual manner?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I thought the usual manner was to download it and unzip it. What's unusual about that? ;}

George Carlin

The usual manner is to download it yes, but then it runs an installer which puts all the files where they are supposed to be.

Its hardly reasonable to be having to unxip, and install files independently.

Microsoft said:
Instructions
[ol][li]Click the Download button on this page to start the download, or choose a different language from the drop-down list and click Go.[/li]
Do one of the following:
[li]To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.[/li]
[li]To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.[/li]
[/ol]
With that said, where did you get your DirectX files?

Why were they not an executable?

DirectX installer

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Thanks Vacunita

I downloaded DirectX from MS on my own machine using the Save option. It came down as a ZIP which I could transfer to a machine I am rebuilding so that I could install it (and a pile of other stuff including antivirus) before going online. It all sounded so logical. All I needed to know, and all I asked, was "Where do I save the files?"

Following your link, DirectX is now installed on the rebuilt machine - but what a hoo-hah!

Thanks to all who proffered assistance. The job is now done!

George Carlin

Glad you sorted it out.

Still, its rather odd that MS would offer a simple Zip file without any sort of executable.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

OK, I misunderstood the question... from the way it sounded, you had not downloaded it yet... but glad you got it working in the end...

I sympathise with your byline (a misquote from one of the laws of engineering)
if you are referring to the sledgehammer, then no, not a misquote at all... never heard of the Laws of Engineering (note to self need to look that one up), when I made that quote, way way way back in 2003 or so, that is exactly how I felt about some of the PC's I was working on, needless to say that was a time of frustration (and that sledgehammer helped alleviate some of the stress)...

;-)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

@BadBigBen,

In the old days, sometimes "Brogan Maintenance" was the only thing that would work. ;)

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back