Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where do I find a service contract for Dell server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackiev

MIS
Aug 16, 2000
US
Have a Dell Poweredge 4200 server on a Novell Network. The server is 5 years old & Dell will no longer offer any maintenance. Is there any other option out there?

stuff unsupported by the vendor gets very, very expensive... look to local PC repair places...

and look to replacing it... it might be cheaper in the long run... JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

I'll second the motion by jtb to replace that server pronto. Not only is it now unsupported by Dell, certain replacement parts may be extremely hard to find - as I found out the hard way! It may well last another 5 years, but it could cough it's guts out in 5 minutes... Can you or your company live with that uncertainty? Put another way, how valuable is the data on that machine, and how important is its availability? (make sure your backups are complete - you may need them sooner than you think).

I'd recommend budgeting for a server upgrade or replacement every 3 years. Don't wait for it to start dying of old age. If most of the workstations are faster and more powerful than the server, then that's another sign that it's time for a new one.

When you do replace your server you should also consider entering into a formal Service Level Agreement with a local firm to provide 24/7/365 onsite service within 2 hours. If you don't operate 24/7 you can specify onsite service during your hours of business. This firm should be licenced by your h/w manufacturer to provide warranty work on their behalf, so don't just go to the computer shop around the corner or rely on the boss's nerdy nephew (don't laugh!) Some vendors and resellers also provide these services. Think of it as disability insurance for your server - it's well worth it.

Darts [morning] "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" -- Dale Carnegie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back