Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where do I connect this things in my motherboard? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Hi all,

I just got this motherboard from MSI 760GMA-P34 (FX).
Unfortunately their Manual doesn't cover the following below:

Where do I connect these:
1. HDA connector (hard drive activity light).
2. Memory-card Reader.

What the USB 3 connector looks like?, I can see where it goes, but I don't see a connector around with such a width.

In the PCI slot below the one where the graphics card goes, can I plug a fax-modem card?

What is the JCI1 connector for?
And the JSPI1 connector?
And both the JTPM1 and the JCOM1?

Thanks guys :)

JDL

JTPM1 is for trusted platform module, JCOM1 is a serial port, JSPI1 is for internal use only, it is to flash the SPI flash eprom. JCT1 is for a case intrusion switch. HDD LED goes on JFP1 pins 1-3 pin 1 is +. Since the board doesn't come with memory card reader, I am going to assume it is part of the case, and it is USB, and can be plugged into JUSB1 or JUSB2. USB 3 is for front panel USB3 if your case doesn't have it, you won't have the plug. You can get a USB3 to USB2 case cable if all you have is USB2 ports on the case. All of this information is in the manual, pages 20-23, except the internal use only JSPI1.

As for the fax/modem, if it is a regular PCI fax/modem it can go into the PCI slot, If it is an AMR board, than no, it needs a special slot only some boards had. If you mean the short slot right below the PCIe x16 slot, than no, that is a PCIe x1 slot.

This demystifies a lot!
Thank you so much rclarke250 :)

Should I assume that the HDA and the HDD LED are the same?
And, instead of getting a "USB3 to USB2 case cable", what about changing the USB2 port for a USB3? My priority is to have access to the full speed of USB3. Even if ultimately the end result is not part of the case. It would be nicer if it was, but not a priority.
How can I tell the front ports in the case are USB2 indeed?

JDL

All USB3 ports are blue in color. You can get USB 3 ports that fit in an empty drive bay, as for changing the case ports over, you can but locating ports that are compatible with the mounting in your case can be problematic. But if you feel adventurous, there is nothing stopping you from taking a motherboard case cable and ports and cutting an opening and using hot clue or another means to secure it in place, I mean it is just a connector on the end of a cable. Just don't use USB 2 ports, they are not rated for the higher current of USB 3.

That's great!
That's the info I needed.
Thank you rclarke250 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back